Friday, June 22, 2007

Guess who's not getting invited to dinner.


Me, that's who. Check it out:

'Dear johnny,

Four lucky supporters have been selected to join Barack for an intimate Dinner for Five. They'll share their stories, their questions, and hopefully a delicious meal.

Read about Barack's dinner guests below, and then send them a personal note or a question you'd like them to ask:

http://my.barackobama.com/dinnerforfivenote'

I kept reading, hoping to see that I had been invited, but was disappointed to find that the wonks at O’Bama headquarters had decided, instead, to go with a firefighter, working mother, philanthropist and blue-collar guy.

They will probably have one of those fancy wine-and-cheese, sit-down parties. That way they can have a spirited and informed discussion about issues that matter. I was really hoping for more of a backyard barbeque thing, where I might end up getting to play some cornhole and quote ‘Caddyshack’ with Barack.

Cornhole, by the way, is an actual game, invented in Cincinnati, by chronically intoxicated students. You toss beanbags into holes cut in plywood. It frequently happens at barbeques in Ohio. Google™ it, or check out http://www.playcornhole.org/.

So, it’s cool that I’m not invited this time. I’ll just send a messenger, I’ll e-mail some questions to each of the actual guests. I just hope they don’t all want to use the same question.

I’m starting by sending this one to the blue collar guy:


Which of the following languages would it benefit me most to learn:
• Cantonese
• Mandarin
• Wu